Saturday, November 22, 2008

Just returned from Prop 8 Rally at the Capitol

Another Saturday spent on the steps of the Capitol. Im beginning to look forward to seeing all the familiar faces. Its comforting. Through out the week though i am consistently reading blog after blog..news story after news story and i know im only raising my stress level by doing so.

Today i was reading about attacks and vandalism against Mormon temples. Im on the fence about these stories. I in no way condone violence towards Yes on 8 supporters or towards their properties. Yet part of me says that if all they received was spray paint on their temple then so be it. True anarchy would have bombed the temples or set them on fire which has happened through out our history. To me a bit of spray paint is a rather non violent way of handling the anger so many of us have burning within ourselves. Yet i suppose it still isn't right.

Another part of me is not convinced that all these incidents have been done by No supporters. Im sure perhaps some of them have been out of anger but not all of them. I have no proof either way of this but something inside me tells me that the Yes people may be the actual culprits as they attempt to play the Victim card. It is not an impossibility as its been done before. The Nazi's did it when they burned down their own Reichstag's building and blamed the communist.

History always repeats itself. I am not trying to generalize and compare all yes on 8 supporters to Nazi's. But i am reminded that the Nazi's terrorized the gay community of Germany and sent them to concentration camps and im sure that some of the Yes supporters would wish us to be taken away as well.

No comments: